I started thinking about the rest of my life...
As many of you know, I'll be graduating this coming August. Initially, I wasn't planning to finish until April 2008, but due to my disliking for my program I've made graduation 8 months sooner. Yes - I might have downgraded my degree a tad bit but I figured it just isn't worth wasting my time and hard-earned money on shit I hate.
So lately I've been bombarded with people asking me the old question, "What do you plan on doing next?" Usually I just shrug and tell them "I have no idea." It's certainly not an easy decision to make because I think the next few years of my life will determine who I'll be and the lifestyle I'll live for years to come.
However I'm not totally clueless because I do have a few the ideas (or "options"). I know that my interests are in Urban Planning and East Asian Anthropology/History, and that I want nothing to do with math (at least not difficult math). So for those who are just dying to know, here's what I might be up to over the next few years (based on my interests)...
OPTION #1: Urban Planning
Duration: 4 years
I've always been interested in city forms and designs, and my favorite topic to bitch about is "why the suburbs suck!" (Keep in mind there aren't many things I bitch about.) After thinking about it, I realize I might actually enjoy doing a masters in Urban Planning. The only problem is I can't get into Urban Planning grad programs with a 3 year degree (or even a math degree), which means I'll need to go back for a couple years and complete a 2nd bachelors in something easy and relevant (eg. Geography, Anthropology) Then the masters is an additional 2 years.
This option is the most time-consuming and would cost me fuck I don't know.... but it would most likely make me happy in the end (if I make it there!)
OPTION #2: Marketing
Duration: a year
I'm looking at a post-grad college program in Marketing Management. Of course Marketing is always the fun part of doing business and is much more interesting than, say, financial planning or human resource management. Looking at my resume, I do have some relevant work experience which puts me in good shape for any potential co-op term or work after graduation. It's the fastest way I can make money (other than finding a job in August).
OPTION #3: Yonsei University
Duration: 4 months... but I might be unemployed
Yonsei is a school in the Sincheon district of Seoul, South Korea that is known for having a big international exchange program, as well as the Korean Language Institute where they teach the Korean language at all levels. KLI is popular among Korean-American and Korean-Canadian students like myself who wish to "get back with their roots". By spending 4 months there, I'll improve my Korean and make some friends, and who knows.... I might not be living here in Canada again!
OPTION #4: Combination of #2 and #3
Duration: 2 years?
I can spend a year in Korea doing the Yonsei program and working under the table, then return and do a post-grad program in Marketing. This plan not only satisfies my social/cultural needs, but also ensures I'll have a career in the near future.
Labels: education and career

2 Comments:
suburbs DO suck!!
4 years is nothing if you're doing something you like.
Its good to go throught this phase now. After graduating UW, i didn't know what to do next, (Seneca doesn't count its just a time filler) take some time off from school, go on some adventure and think. Its a good option otherwise you may end up burned out ( 4years of school is long) and alcoholic, like someone you know. Cheers man come down to Toronto next week! We'll get wasted. Ask Sen about this place called Jillies... He'll say its the best place in town!
Post a Comment
<< Home