Working the afterhours
We learn a lot of useful things in elementary school - a lot more than we give credit for, and I'm not just talking about Reading, Riting, and Rithmatic (although those things have become quite useful too).
But what about the after-school DETENTION?
I think my first DETENTION was in the 4th grade... I must have failed to finish my homework or something 'cuz I was a very lazy kid, despite being well-behaved. Anyways, I don't recall much about it but I remember crying my eyes out in panic. That first DETENTION is always frightening, especially after all of your classmates have gone home and all that's left in the classroom is your "evil" teacher... and all of a sudden you feel like you're in jail and you'll never get out!
Eventually, you learn that there is a way out afterall, and that is to simply finish your work. So what have I gotten out of this?....
Forward 13 years or so... I'm working at a co-op placement at The Schlegel Centre of Entrepeneurship. Despite having been enrolled into one of the top universities in Canada (according to McLean's), I'm still very lazy! I'm preparing for a networking conference the next morning where I would have to promote our initiative to about 40 other people... I'm told by Cory Kittel, the co-ordinator (in other words my "boss"), to prepare a short speel about a project we're working on. So I'm typing away at my desk and realize it's 5:00 - time to go.... usually. In the past, my work day would have ended then. I say "bye" to my co-workers (Marguerite & Amanda), shut down my computer, throw on my jacket, and shut the office door thinking, "I'll finish it tonight". As I head out, Cory looks at me from his desk and laughs, probably thinking, "Where do you think you're going?"
"So you want it done now?", I ask. He pretty much replied "yes", and so I served my 30 minute detention finishing my task.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home