Tuesday, November 02, 2004

My name is James and i live in Scarborough

There are people who say "you are where you're from". This means that the environment we're exposed to growing up shapes our personality, sometimes permanently. If this is true, then why are Oasis and The Beatles my favorite bands? Why not the Poonjabi MCs? And why am i such a scene-ster wannabe rather than a thug wannabe? The typical Scarborough male under 25 normally wears baggy clothes, a Yankees hat turned slightly to one side, and drives a Civic or a Corolla. I prefer to wear clothes that fit me, kinda like a white person would, and i've only driven a Taurus and a Volvo. My friend Sen made a good point once. He asked, "I wonder how you turned out like this living in Scarborough?" You can literally go into my old high school wearing a Who t-shirt and everyone would be like "who????" I guess i was one of the few that realized there was a whole different world out there, especially when it came to music. I give the internet a lot of credit, because without it i wouldn't have dicovered that i'm not the only person with the "weird" tastes. I joined mailing lists and posted on message boards, taking song suggestions from others as well as making my own recommendations. The internet became my environment, not the Scarborough Town Centre or R.H. King Academy. I admit i didn't like the place where i grew up, so i ran away and hid in my cyber world.

Anyways, i finally got an insurance policy today. It's a whole life policy from Manulife Financial, monthly premium: $50.25 for the first 11 years. I guess it ain't bad since i stop paying after year 11. Incase anybody asks, i don't drink and i've never smoked marijuana in the last 12 months! *cough* *cough*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home